You are a solid software engineer who has been a key member of and enjoys working in high-performing teams. You get your work done to a high standard and leave things better than you found them. You make a difference every single day and want to be part of our amazing MVF culture! Ideally, you are either a software engineer with platform / operations experience or a platform engineer from a software engineering background.
You… (what we want from you)
- believe in “infrastructure as code” (we use Cloudformation, Chef & Terraform)
- instinctively automate repetitive tasks
- delight in readable, well-designed, well-tested scripts
- write clean, readable code following the project’s coding style and accepted practices, paradigms & patterns (e.g. SOLID)
- are confident working with Docker based systems (we currently run Docker in ECS)
- have experience of Refactoring & Debugging techniques.
- have configured, deployed and debugged CI/CD pipelines (we use CircleCI & Jenkins)
- have set up and supported Logging & Monitoring solutions (we use Datadog)
- are comfortable dealing with relational databases, from solving performance issues to managing backup and replication strategies, and disaster recovery (we use MySQL across EC2 and RDS, plus Snowflake)
You may… (what we’d like from you, or you’re keen to learn)
- have experience with tuning Wordpress or a CMS and performance using a CDN (Fastly/Cloudfront/Cloudflare)
- have experience designing resilient networks/infrastructure
- have experience with disaster recovery and “chaos” testing
- have experience of Security best-practice (least privilege and separation of duties)
- have experience with TDD environments (ideally using PHP/React: Codeception, PHPUnit, PHPSpec, Enzyme, Jest, Nightwatch, Cypress)
You will be… providing maximum value to our clients by building and improving platform products and tools to help us innovate the way we deliver high quality customers to them.
- Providing input with other specialists into technical design decisions
- Communicating complex ideas and outcomes to peers, managers and partners
- Documenting technical systems and processes around work that your team owns
- Building consensus within the team for your and others’ ideas
- Actively asking for and providing regular feedback
- Reviewing other engineers’ work, mostly in the form of pull requests and group code reviews, and helping them to improve the quality of our codebase
- Working with other engineers to improve your and their skills
- Onboarding new engineers and keeping onboarding process up to date
- Potentially assisting with the hiring process
- Working within a cross functional engineering team, delivering technical solutions to identified business needs at a high standard
- Owning pieces of work and delivering them to a high standard in alignment with our team’s product goals
- Working through roadblocks through collaboration
- Asking questions to ensure you understand the work well
- Providing accurate estimates of work we plan
- Working within and helping to improve our Lean & Agile processes, to deliver business value through your engineering effort
Platform Engineering @ MVF
Platform Engineers at MVF work closely with our Data, Product and Publishing Engineering teams to ensure the continued reliability and availability of our infrastructure, products and platforms. We believe that teams supporting their work in production is the best way to ensure the production of high quality software, so you will work with these teams to ensure that they have the skills, tools and direction to enable this.
Engineers at MVF have unique access to and involvement in the business and its direction. Collaborating with colleagues from across the company they play a key role in helping to define the scope, architecture and implementation details of projects at all levels and have a real impact on the commercial outcomes and ultimate success of each project.
You can expect to be fully involved in engineering from the start, including participating in code reviews and daily standups. You will provide insight into the delivery of current and upcoming team tasks. By the end of your first week you will have successfully put your first changes into production.
What we can offer:
- Individual training budget to spend on your professional development e.g Conferences and courses
- 1 day per week work from home policy
- 10% time to work on personal projects you feel might benefit MVF most
- Unlimited book allowance
- Your choice of hardware
- Sports and culture clubs that include Yoga, Table tennis, Movie, Badminton, Football, Board games, Personal Trainer sessions and more
- Free healthy breakfast that includes a selection of Fruit, Cereals, Tea & Coffees
MVF is a global customer generation business, supplying some of the world’s leading brands with high volumes of new customers in over 100 countries. In 2013, MVF topped the Sunday Times Tech Track as the fastest growing tech/media company in the UK, and we’ve been winning awards ever since; whether for growth, for excellence in marketing, or for innovation in other fields. At present, MVF is made up of 450+ amazing people in the UK and USA, and we’ll soon be launching our third office, this time in the APAC region.
We are on a mission to accelerate our clients’ growth by building the world’s most effective marketing platform through a passion for data, relentless innovation and the development of world class teams. We want you to help us get there!
Our MVF Values
Company culture is very important to us, and so we’re very proud to have been judged in the top 2 places to work in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For List 2018, and we are constantly looking for ways to make MVF an even better environment for all our people.
As well as providing a fun and inspiring workplace, we have clear values that inform everything we do, ensuring everyone at MVF can be at the top of their game; constantly developing, innovating and inspiring positivity in their colleagues. We don’t just talk about our values, we live them:
- Drive to be World Class e.g. Strives to learn new software engineering techniques and improve existing skills. Knows how to apply them day to day
- Work Smart, Deliver Fast e.g. Prioritises to deliver value, fast
- Love Innovation e.g. Knows when and where to apply new techniques and technologies
- Help Others Succeed e.g. Mentors and supports other members of the team to learn and improve their productivity
- Earn Trust e.g. communicates progress effectively to team members and stakeholders
- Inspire Positivity e.g. team members (and others in the department) look to you to help them with problems
If you have a true passion for Technology and are driven to learn, develop and become world class through a data centred approach to Development, then please apply.