As we step into November, we look back at the fantastic array of events that our Lived Experiences of Ethnic People (LEEP) Network put on for MVF this UK Black History Month!
Why Is Black History Month Important To MVF?
Black History Month (BHM) is a month dedicated to celebrating the culture, history, and achievement of Britain’s African and Caribbean communities. It was important for MVF to celebrate BHM not only to educate ourselves on Black history and the Black experience, but to ensure that everyone feels understood, included, respected, and celebrated whilst working at MVF.
LEEP member and Facilities Coordinator, Nicole Baker, coordinated this month’s activities. She said:
“Black History Month is not just for Black individuals or just about slavery. It was important for LEEP to make this known to MVFers that this is OUR history. We all want Acknowledgment, Support and Celebration!”
Our Highlight Reel
Check out the activities our LEEP members and allies pulled off this October despite facing the (currently global) challenge of their audience working remotely. The lack of face-to-face contact didn’t stop the LEEP Network pivoting their plans to work virtually with great success:
– A Lunch & Learn with Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu. Dr Shola streamed in via Zoom to run an interactive discussion around British Black History, Systemic Racism and Diversity
– A Short Stories Series. These weekly pieces were aimed to educate MVFers on key moments which shaped British History and included stories on The History of Notting Hill Carnival, The Windrush Generation, The 1981 Brixton Riots, The Bristol Bus Boycott of 1963 and 50 Icons In Black History
– Network Collabs. LEEP partnered with our LGBTQ+ and Women’s Network to bring MVFers content on inspirational Queer and Female Black trailblazers
– The Black Business Expedition by The Prestige Network. TPN, a team of Black digital marketing professionals, hosted a webinar masterclass exclusively for Black-owned businesses
– BHM Quiz Night. MVFers gathered for a fun-filled BHM-themed quiz night via Zoom
– BHM Movie Club Collaboration. Our Movie Club joined forces with LEEP to stream "BlacKkKlansman"
– LEEP Instagram Interviews. We launched an Instagram campaign interviewing LEEP members to discover what BHM represented for them
– LEEP’s Library. LEEP collated a catalogue of their favourite books on Black Britain to circulate within the business
Hear From Our MVFers
So how did it go? We asked MVFers what they thought of Black History Month and this is what they said:
“I loved the DR Shola talk! It was so well put together and she shared such valuable information! I would love to have this kind of talk happen again next year. The best lunch & learn session I’ve ever attended!”
“Considering this was the first BHM event at MVF and virtual – this was put together so well! So proud of the LEEP Network and what it has to offer.”
“I’ve loved learning about parts of history which I had never known about before. I cannot wait for next year!”
It’s A Wrap!
So as UK Black History Month comes to an end, we are reminded of one of our favorite MVF mantras: We must work to fit together, not to fit in.
We remain committed to showing that everyone is able to succeed in their own image and are able to be their authentic self at work. It is important for us to celebrate the diverse cultures and backgrounds that we have at MVF, as it’s our differences that help MVF thrive. Thank you LEEP for such an incredible Black History Month!